The small things

It's the small things that can make so much difference to your day, I find - either add the finishing touch or be the thing that leaves you counting to ten and taking deep breaths.

One of the things that has had me pulling my hair out recently is Littlest Boy's habit of pulling the tablecloth any which way he can when he climbs up at the table often resulting in the spillage of whatever's on the table, or the perfectionist in me getting very annoyed that the table cloth isn't just so!

And this morning I decided that I could remove this stress from my life! I had some spare oilcloth in the cupboard (I normally get a meter at a time and find that this does two tablecloths), did a little bit of measuring and off I went.

Using the length of the table  (+ 0.5cm for a bit of ease) to calculate the maximum border that I had spare, I trimmed the fabric width to give the same sized border so that all the sides would be equal. I've never worked with oilcloth before and have to say I found it very tricksy to fold accurately. But we got there in the end with the help of some clips!

I then drew a square in each corner to create a mitred corner
















A quick bit of sewing across each of the corners.......















....a trim of the excess  fabric and I was done! (Can you see I've already had to make a second tighter line - I figured it would be better to work generously so that I didn't ruin the fabric!)















And voila, one fitted tablecloth! It could maybe be a little snugger on the corners, but I'll see how this works out for now.















It made lunch a lot more peaceful I can tell you! And I'll try not to dwell on the fact that I could have done this ages ago and instead enjoy the little bit of peace that it has bought to my days now!

Hope you've found some little things to enjoy today,

Sx

Todays sky ● blue with some clouds

Labels: ,