Some more Christmas gifts

I don't know about you, but I had a few crafty things on my Christmas list that I was very much hoping Santa would think I'd been good enough to get!

The one that I was most excited about was the Farmers Wife Quilt book - I've been seeing quite a few around the blogosphere and, as I don't yet own a patchwork book I thought it would be a really good resource for lots of different blocks. If you want to have a look at some of the fabulous blocks and finished quilts, then do go and check out the Flickr group. The book is based on letters written by American farming wives responding to the question "Would you want your daughter to marry a farmer?", and includes one/two blocks for each of the letters as well as excerpts from some of the letters. I've always loved history so I find it really interesting to read peoples perceptions about 1920's America. I was also lucky enough to be given some fabric to have a play with and have ordered some more - so I think this might be my ongoing project for 2013! If anyone fancies joining me then let me know!




















The other item that I'd asked for was a spool rack. It doesn't look very exciting I know, but the idea of being able to see all of my spools at a glance and just grab the one I need rather than rummaging through my ice-cream tub feels like it's going to be a time-saver, as well as looking pretty on my wall. Once I (or Mr f&f!) put it up that is!














And then my Mum surprised me with the most gorgeous wooden buttons that she'd picked up on holiday in Talin














I'm going to have to make something very special to put them on. I'm thinking something knitted, maybe a shawl or something. If anyone has any pattern ideas I'd love to hear them.

And talking about Christmas gifts, I thought I'd share with you a couple of little things. The first one is a pressie that I made for my Dad. A hand-sewn rolled-hem handkerchief using a paisley print with a contrasting red perle cotton.
Rolled-hem handkerchief by fabric&flowersuk














I used the fantastic tutorial by Purl Bee and although it was a little tricky to start the hem rolling properly (and we won't talk too much about the corners!) it was very relaxing and therapeutic to just sit and sew and made a small and functional gift very personal.

The second one was a present to myself - a centre-piece for the Christmas table. I managed to finish it on Christmas Eve so it was only just ready. I used a wonky star for the centre panel and then free-motion quilted holly-leaves into each of the squares, although they don't really show up too well in the text
Christmas table mat by fabric&flowers

Christmas table mat by fabric&flowers



The crochet blanket is still coming along, although I have a little catch-up to play...I'm about ready to sew the two sides together and then it will be onto the border. They could take a while I reckon!

I don't know about you but I'm already starting to look forward to 2013 and thinking new goals. I just don't know if there's going to be enough time for everything that I'm thinking about?!

Sx

Todays sky ● overcast. Boo!


Labels: , , , ,