A special bag

How are you all doing? I hope you're having as much glorious sun as we are - somehow it just makes the world seem a better, happier place don't you think!?!?!?! This morning we went for a walk around the lake and it was just perfect - bright and sunny and (dare I say it?!) not too hot.


Last night I worked away on a special project for my Mum. Some of you who have followed me for a while may remember me mentioning that she hasn't been too well recently.  Back in September I made her a Sending A Hug lap quilt and the day that she received it, she was diagnosed with cancer. It's been a difficult few months, as the initial treatment made her very poorly. She's starting to feel better but is about to start the next stage of treatment which is going to involve a few stays in hospital. I asked if there was anything that I could make and a wash-bag was decided upon!

Mum chose some fabrics for the exterior of the wash bag, and for the lining I used this pink cherry spot fabric. I'm not sure that I mentioned a little while ago that I was lucky enough to win a giveaway on Sandra Cherry Hearts blog? I received this fab goody bag of fabric, binding and buttons from The Sewing Boutique isn't it pretty?! And a perfect match for my wash bag!
My giveaway prize winnings - eek!

I used the Noodlehead Open Wide Pouch tutorial to make a large pouch with the only modification being to add some handles to make the bag easy to move around.
Making handles using pink spotty binding sewn together
For each handle I cut two strips of binding (you can find similar here) about 19" long and sewed them together to make them nice and strong before sewing them onto the bag, about 3.5" in from each side.
Open Wide Pouch with handles by fabricandflowersuk

I also used the binding to cover the end of the zip. It's certainly a very colourful pouch - perfect to brighten a hospital room! - and hopefully big enough to carry everything!!!!
Open Wide Pouch with handles by fabricandflowersuk

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments on my pincushion, I'm really excited to say that yesterday I heard from Liberty that I was one of the five lucky winners! There were so many fantastic entries by very talented people - you can check them out here - that I really hadn't expected anything so I must confess to doing a little jig around the kitchen when I got the email!!!!!

I hope you're all having a lovely day and see you soon,

S x

Todays sky ● beautiful blue, summers day. Woo hoo!!!!

Labels: , , , ,