Finally, an Aeroplane bag!!!

I did it!!! Last night I slip stitched the lining shut and snipped the final threads off my Aeroplane Bag.

I made a few changes to the original pattern, mainly because of supplies I had that I really wanted to incorporate into the bag. I'd treated myself to one of the PB&J mini charm packs (I find them a great way of buying a new fabric range for not too much money, I'm a little bit addicted to them!) that I really wanted to make into pocket panels for the bag and the leather handles that I'd bought a few weeks back were a great match to the red in the PB&J. It took a little while to gather all the supplies - Katy wrote a great post here if you're thinking of making one and in the end I went for car scrim, which I got from eBay for a good price - and after a bit of deliberating I came up with an idea and off I went!


I made two pocket panels - each one 3 squares x 5 squares (so a finished measurement of 6"x10"), but off set every other row so it wasn't too 'blocky'. One panel got made into a zip pocket, and the other a slip pocket. I used Sara's instructions on how to add a hidden pocket for each of these, and they worked really well. I'm not sure that my chunky zip insertion is the best example of how it should be done (!) but it works and was relatively easy to do. 

So without further ado, here's my new bag!
Aeroplane bag by fabricandflowersuk

I'm pretty pleased with it and am really looking forward to taking it with me to Retreat in July - it's gonna hold loads!
Aeroplane Bag by fabricandflowersuk

I did make a few other tweaks to the pattern; adding binding in between the top and bottom panels to balance out the red of the handles; changing one of the internal pockets to a slip pocket as it's such a roomy bag I wanted a way of organising and being able to grab stuff quickly. I also added bag feet to the bottom, but I forgot to take a picture of them!

I really cannot express how much fun I had making this bag and what a great pattern it is. I'm already thinking about how/when I can make another one: I really fancy making a scrappy one like Katy, and this time I think it will have handles as per the pattern!

Sx

Todays sky ● started off overcast but a glorious blue sky this afternoon!

Labels: ,