Tova with a touch of Liberty


I don't know if it's because I was doing so much quilting in the lead up to Easter, but I've had a real craving for some dressmaking lately, and the Tova was high on my wish list! The one I'd made a few years back felt a big snug and the sleeves had always bugged me because they were at the length which meant that every time I stretched my arms they would get caught on my elbow!!!! So I dug this chambray out of my stash with the idea of making a light and floaty summer tunic. But it was a bit too see-through, so shirt it was!

I double checked the measurements and ended up making the Small again but the fit feels a lot better this time. The only thing that I can think is that first time round I wasn't so careful on my seam allowance (this pattern has a 3/8" seam allowance and I think I did french seams on my last one and it was one of the first garments I sewed, so there's always going to be errors, right?!) and that maybe the fabric shrunk a bit in the wash? To be doubley sure though, I used a scant seam allowance on the side seams....




I was worried that the chambray would look a bit too plain and after a bit of thinking came up with adding a touch of Liberty to the collar, placket and sleeve bands for a bit of contrast and fun. I'm really pleased with how it worked out and have to say it's lovely way of adding a bit of luxury - with only a little bit of fabric - to what could have otherwise been a fairly boring shirt. And it makes me smile every time I wear it (and squint in the sun too!)

So, deets:

Pattern::: Wiksten Tova
Size::: Small
Adjustments::: cut 2 additional placket pieces in Liberty, shortened the height of the collar by 1/4" and curved the ends (a la Kerry's Tova Along tutorial); lengthened the sleeves (although in all honesty I probably could have done with another inch or so!); lengthened the tunic by a few inches.



It was so much fun and I'm loving wearing it. I've already got another summer Tova dress planned (in Liberty Lawn, here's a sneak peek for you!) and then I also want to make a autumn/winter version a bit later in the year - I'm think Anna Maria Horner's Loominous might look lovely in a Tova, what d'you think?

Linking up with Sara's Dress-up Party

Sx

Today's sky - sunny and cloudy!

Labels: , ,